13 August 2015

Experiments in Paleo: Cauliflower Omelet

This is another recipe I found in the cookbook I mentioned in my last post. You can find the original recipe online here. Whole Foods also has a cheesy alternative here
Photo credit (Mine did not look this perfect)

Ijjit Qarnabit

4-5 eggs
1 tbsp ghee 
3/4 c coconut milk
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 cups raw cauliflower, grated
1/3 c onion, chopped
1/2 c parsley, chopped
salt and black pepper (to taste)





I followed the recipe, mostly, but I would cut back on the fat next time (I'm still getting used to the whole eating lots of healthy fat thing) and add some more cinnamon. It also calls for 2 green onions which I didn't have, so I just used one large red onion. Since I'm lazy and was hungry while making this dish, I didn't grate the cauliflower or chop the onions because I'm the slowest chopper ever. Seriously, I would still be chopping now instead of typing this. I need a professional to show me how to slice and dice quickly without cutting a finger off. To circumvent a bloody mishap, I tossed the cauliflower and onion into the mixie and ran it on low for less than a minute before wisking the mixture into my bowl of milk and eggs. The coconut milk was a nice alternative to normal milk and gave the omelet a light, fluffy, and distinctively coconut taste. I might also substitute coriander (cilantro) for the parsley next time for a bit more flavor.

As I've previously mentioned, I don't have a proper oven so I did not bake this as suggested. Instead, I heated up the skillet, covered it with a glass lid, and set it on the stovetop on low heat until it turned a light brown. It fell apart into uneven chunks when I went to take it out of the pan; however, despite the lack of an artfully arranged dish, it was a decent meal. I will definitely try it again with a few tweaks. 

What's your favorite paleo brunch recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment