10 January 2011

Whiskey Cake Kitchen and Bar

I have been known to refer to Plano as the "land of the chain restaurants," but I was pleasantly surprised by the new addition to the suburb, Whiskey Cake.  Some friends recommended this place and I'm very happy we decided to try something new and venture a bit further north outside of the Dallas bubble.


(Photo credit: www.whiskey-cake.com)
Location: Plano, TX- just north of Parker on the Tollway, across from the movie theater
Price: $10-$30
Atmosphere: Saturday night was packed, a 55 minute wait minimum.  People crowded the bar and it was a loud but cozy environment.  It was a mix between Cracker Barrel with some seating areas including mix and match chairs with rocking chairs and urban with an unfinished hardware look in their choice of decor.  Despite their claim of child friendliness, I saw not one in the Saturday night crowd.  Plano is dry so restaurants cater to the bar crowd as well, and the scene was hoppin.

The restaurant is known for its farm to kitchen cooking and boosts local grass & grain fed cattle as we were told upon seating.  I'm a sucker for deviled eggs and when I saw them on the menu they were a must have.  The order comes with five and is a delish app with cured salmon topping off the traditional egg dish.  My friends who had been before split the hot chicken and cheese melt with no warning to me how large the serving actually was.  The sandwich was scrumptious, but very filling and I left with a take away bag in tow.  There is a vast array of alcoholic beverages to choose from with beer and wine aplenty and of course, an extensive whiskey-bourbon-scotch menu.  I was told dessert was a must and had the namesake, whiskey cake, recommended.  I instead branched out and tried my old favorite, the crème brûlée.  It was dinner and a show with that decision; the bourbon topping is poured on at the table and lit on fire for your viewing pleasure.  Overall the service and the food was excellent and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a more unique experience than the everyday chain restaurants dotting the landscape of suburbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment